Learning the laws regulating the use of firearms is a must for responsible ownership. Local regulations differ and laws vary from state to state. Citizens must check with the jurisdiction where the firearm is to be used.
The Sheriff and his staff are required to follow strict state guidelines when performing the necessary background checks for Concealed Handgun Permits (CHP). Due to the nature of the detailed due diligence, appointment times and processing times can take multiple weeks. During the new application process, you will be required to schedule an appointment. Please note that you will be asked to pay now to reserve your appointment.
The application must be submitted to the Sheriff of the County or City and County in which the applicant resides or to the Sheriff of the County or City and County in which the applicant maintains a secondary residence or owns or leases real property used by the applicant in a business.
- For a NEW CHP, you will be asked to schedule fingerprint appointment. Your application is not complete until your fingerprints are submitted.
- If you are applying for a CHP RENEWAL, you may not apply until 120 days prior to the expiration date shown on your current CHP. There is no appointment needed.
- LATE RENEWAL applications will be accepted up to 6 months after the expiration date shown on the current CHP. If your permit is more than 6 months expired then you must submit a new application, to include a valid training certificate less than 10 years old.
- If your CHP is lost, stolen or destroyed, you must contact the agency where the permit was issued within 3 business days.
|Type of Permit
|Late Renewal (within 6 months)
|Replacement - Lost/Destroyed Permit
|Replacement - Stolen Permit (You must provide a police report number)
- Fingerprinting is required for an original Concealed Handgun Permit. Appointments for fingerprinting are available Monday through Friday, excluding legal holidays
- Appointments can be scheduled at either the Fort Collins or Loveland Offices.
- Click the appropriate button on the left of the screen to proceed with an application for a Concealed Handgun Permit.
Please note that this website is optimized for IE 9.0 and higher, Safari, Chrome and Firefox.
Concealed Handgun Permit Information